Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lindsey Vonn

LENZERHEIDE, Switzerland (Reuters) – Lindsey Vonn returned to her familiar role of favorite after snatching the World Cup lead from friend Maria Riesch on Wednesday but the American said she had enjoyed the novelty of being underdog.
Vonn has won the overall World Cup for the last three seasons leaving Riesch in her wake, the German having finished runner-up twice on two of those occasions.
Riesch has enjoyed the upper hand for much of this season, giving the impression she can finally end Vonn's dominance, but after leading by more than 200 points near the end of February she has slipped back into second place.
Vonn finished fourth in Wednesday's downhill with Riesch back in 17th out of the 20 finishers, meaning she moved 27 points clear in the race for the title.
"It has been exciting to be the underdog," said Vonn who has won eight races this season compared to last season's 11.
"Maria has been in the lead since Christmas, I have been chasing and chasing her ever since. It's a position I have never been in before, I enjoy the new challenge.
TITLE FIGHT
"I'm proud of myself for coming back into the race in time for the final week.
"I haven't won as many races as last season, I lost two downhills by one tenth of a second and a Super G by one hundredth. But I've been strong in downhill, super combined and Super G all season."
Germany's Riesch appeared relieved to have ceded the lead to her close friend.
"The good point is I'm not having the pressure on my shoulders any more," said Riesch after the race.
Vonn denied that their friendship was under strain because of the closeness of the title fight, although she admitted they were both under pressure at the season's finale.
"I haven't seen any change (in our relationship), you have to concentrate on your own races," Vonn said.
"Our relationship is the same. We are both under stress at the moment, I think it will be back to normal after this week."

The Super G, giant slalom and slalom are still to come in the Swiss resort this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment